Add this cartoon to your website!
Copy and paste the code below.
The power of the Sun and its energy potential really is amazing. So amazing that it’s difficult to see just what it is about renewables that some people don’t get.
Just How Amazing is Solar?
1. Every second, the sun converts 4 million tons of hydrogen to energy and radiates it into space!
2. There are so many nuclear fusion reactions happening inside the Sun at any given time that we don’t have a number big enough to count them!
3. A staggering 1.8 x 1017 joules of energy from the Sun hits the Earth every second.
4. That’s 180,000,000,000,000,000 W.
5. In the context of your electricity bill, that’s 4,320,000,000,000,000 kWh in a day.
6. The energy hitting the earth from the sun each day is 28 times annual energy consumption for the whole world in 2012.
7. It takes a million years for the energy from a nuclear fusion reaction in the center of the sun to reach the surface.
8. It would take another 4 billion years to consume all the Sun’s hydrogen.
9. One third of all solar PV on the planet was installed last year (2013).
10. The cost of solar panels has fallen approximately 100 times over since 1977.